Sunday, August 16, 2009

Born 54 Years Ago


Today is not only the birhday of St. John Bosco, but also my birthday to the Society of St. John Bosco. At the age of 16, 54 years ago, I approached the altar of the Lord and in the presence of my Provincial Superior, Rev. Fr. Emilio Corrales, I pronounced to be obedient, poor and chaste to God, my Father, in the Salesian Society of St. John Bosco to be lived in community life.

With the grace of God and the help of Mary Help of Christians, I had been able to live 54 years of fidelity to the promise made on the 16th of August 1955. I thank the Lord for this gift and offer Him my gratitude for it.

I was told several times, during the novitiate and the following years of initial formation that my vocation to the Salesian life was the fruit of the blood of the martyrs of our civil war. I believe that. Today, the Salesians who died shouting: "Viva Christo Rey!" are now declared saints by the Holy Catholic Church. Their blood has produced so many Salesians now spread as missionaries all over the five continents--among them there are bishops and missionaries.

You who might read this blog, kindly join me and my classmates in thanking God for the gift of our vocation and for the blood of our holy martyrs.

Viva Christo Rey! Long live our Holy Martyrs!

No comments:

Post a Comment